View Single Post
Old 07-02-06, 07:41 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blackberry
Am I right in recalling that those Vitus frame were death traps? But if I could get your results, I might order a few dozen.
No you're not. I've built up about a dozen Vitus 979's over the years but never one this large and never one with a 27.2 mm seat post size. I don't know when and where this particular frame was made but it obviously wasn't put together correctly in the first place.

Also, remember that the Vitus 992 with multishaped tubes was used by the Lotto team at Paris Roubaix without (mentioned) failures.

I had one of those Lotto team bikes for quite a few years and it was always completely reliable.

Sean Kelly raced on the Vitus 979 for several years and if the strongest rider in the world at the time couldn't break them why would anyone else complain.

I HAVE heard that they do occasionally come unglued as mine did but usually not in two joints at once.

My suspicion is that the seat tube was unglued to begin with because when I was tearing it apart I couldn't see any glue at that joint.