View Single Post
Old 07-03-06, 10:13 AM
spingal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spinner converting-help buying bike

I am looking to buy my 1st "real" bike. i have been an avid Spinner for about 10 years and in pretty good shape. I did take the past 4 months off from all activity due to a car accident; and now just starting to get back to "normal" but looking for something easier on my joints than running...so given my backround with indoor cycling I thought cycling would be a good choice. Ok, all you diehards, ignore the fact that I am one of "those" Spinners, because I Really need help buying a bike!

I mainly want it for fitness and I plan to mainly ride on roads or perhaps Towpath but no real rough terrain. I admit I am not familiar with the gears and all the other technical aspects of the different bikes available, but I hope to increase distance and speed in the future; who knows it may replace spinning.

Anyways, went to LBS yesterday, very well known and reputable. Guy was very helpful but perhaps he did not really understand what I am looking for. He did take the time and answer all my questions and explained why he felt I didn't need a WSD model. After leaving there and starting to do some research I began to feel he may not have really suggested the most appropriate bikes. I know he didn't want to sell me something I didn't need (grateful) and I know I need to test ride the bikes; I did not test any of the bikes as I was wearing a skirt, but basically wanted to just get an idea of where to start and he gave me a Trek and Specialized catalog.

He recommended starting with the Specialized Crossroad and also mentioned a Trek (not sure which model- I believe something in the lower end of the 7xxx) but they were both hybrids. He said I could always upgrade later. I guess I would rather get a bike now to meet my needs(or more) than have to upgrade with a new bike in a year or two.

Well after reading it seems that a hybrid is not really what I may be loking for. I guess I am looking more of a Fitness bike, not so leisurely but not a true Road bike (yet anyways). I really don't think I need front suspension like the Specialized has; and don't want a truly upright riding position. Want something comfortable yet can ride good distances and get a good workout.

Any suggestions where to start? After reading alot on this site it seems that the Trek FX series seems popular, would this meet my current needs? What model? Or any other similar brands?
Price range looking for right now b/ $400-$700. Would spend more if the extras were worth it and save me upgrades in the future; but want to make sure this is something I will also do at least few times a week before I spend alot more money.

Supposed to go to bike shop today and test ride the 2 the salesman suggested but I don't think they are what I am looking for and would like more info so I can be more informed about what I need in a bike

Any help would be appreciated. Also, if you could tell me "why" you suggest a certain model/make and the added benefits/differences in features for the $$ would be helpful

Thanks

Last edited by spingal; 07-03-06 at 10:42 AM.