View Single Post
Old 07-04-06, 06:45 AM
KDB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 to Mothra

I started out at about 230 lbs a little over 2 years ago. I now bounce from 185-190 and want to get down to 170-175; so you are on the right track. As Mothra pointed out, you are ready to push to higher levels of intensity. You can do this by riding longer and/or by riding your current rides at a faster, more challenging pace.

For me, a 7 mile ride wouldn't do much. It's not "bad" in any way, but about the time you are done (say 30 minutes or less) is about the time you begin really burning some calories. Can you add to these communting rides? That is, can you leave earlier and take a longer route to work; making the ride more like 1 hour? Then do the same on the way home. Also, can you "sprint" the commute? I don't know if the route makes it possible, but can you reach 20+ mph and sustain it for the entire commute?

Also, I suggest you start to keep a food log. Write down what you eat along with the rough proportions. You can then get a calorie counting book or find this info on line. The idea is to get a handle on how many calories and the source of those calories. Once you have this information, you can start to make some changes that move you towards lower calorie foods and healthier ones. For example, I have completely given up on all sports drinks and even juices in favor of water. This simple change has cut about 300 calories from day's total calories.