HiYoSilver
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bkennedype
I'm looking for something with a stiff frame...I'm 5'9", 190lbs and hopefully dropping. I plan to ride about 3,000km per year and the roads are a bit rough in spots. There are a number a challenging hills - challenging for me and I think a compact crank is best. No racing but I do train hard and our club rides are mostly friendly races. Any advice on best brands in the $2,500 to $3,000 range?

Thanks,

Interesting question. Monday I went to 2 LBS's and reviewed my options. About the same height but a bit heavier. I'm looking for something more friendly to an older body. Al is getting harsh and I'm adding miles as much as I can. Basically there are only 2 frames to consider for your mileage: CF and Ti. You're a bunch lighter so I think you will be safe with any CF frame. It just depends on how much you will be packing on your rides. Before you buy, test ride the bike and check for lateral stability at speeds. If you have no problem, you're ok, if it flexes too much. Your choices are Guru and Ti frames. Guru will beef up their CF frames for heavier riders.

Since you have hills and are not racing, why bother with a compact crank vs a triple. You are really putting a lot of unneeded strain on your legs by not getting a lower chainring. The weight of an extra ring is not much and well worth not having leg problems.

I don't know your location so don't have an idea of brands in your area. Biggest decision is are you going to be doing touring. It sounds like you like speed. If don't need touring setup, you should be fine as long as your rim will take 700x25 or 700x28 tires. Most bikes should be able to handle this. I confirmed that zipp's will handle 700x28 tires, even though they are designed for 700x23.

Your budget seems reasonable for the ride you want. If you really want speed, look at the Tri type of bikes. Top names there are Guru, Felt, Cervelo, Quintana Roo and Litespeed.