Old 07-16-03, 09:35 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally posted by Lonnie Seachris
Thinking about going to a wider width captain's bar on our tandem. Currently it has a 43cm on it I think? While I am new to the roadbike configeration it seems that a wider bar would keep the bike from feeling so twichie.
Any thoughts out there?
Give it more time. The more you ride the less twitchy it should become.

This ties back to the discussion on stoker saddles in which I addressed your stoker's riding position, shock-post travel and other things that cause your stoker's upper body to move around as that is the source of the twitchiness. As your stoker's riding position gets sorted out, their pedal stroke becomes more natural and you begin to ride more smoothly as a team the twitchiness should begin to go away.

As a general recommendation for all new tandem teams -- and even experienced ones -- be sure to routinely critique (using constructive comments) your combined riding performance with your stoker(s) so that you both can work to refine your riding techniques to make riding more enjoyable. Remind stokers to forewarn you before they reach down for a water bottle (e.g., drinking) or contemplate any other major body shifts. Make sure they understand that you will always feel any of their upper body movements and the more dramatic they are the more dramatic the motion that you'll feel and have to counteract via the handlebars. Examples would include quick turns of the head to look at scenery or to talk with other cyclists, arm gestures, sitting back and stretching, etc...