Thread: Stoker seat
View Single Post
Old 07-16-03, 08:07 PM
brad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is T., Brad's wife (and stoker on our tandem).

It's been an interesting few years riding, and I've tried several saddles. What I've learned is that it's a fine line between an art and a science as far as saddles go. The industry tries to accomplish what they can - but they mostly miss.

In order to compensate, the rider must use some 'art' in the ride. I find myself shifting to various positions. For example, if it's particularly hot outside, I have to get up out of the saddle just to cool off. If it's been a longer ride, I have to shift between having my sit bones take most my weight on the widest part of the saddle and alternate that by periodically shifting my weight forward and riding with more of my pelvic bone taking the weight toward the end of the saddle. This latter position means getting into my drop bars, and it's better if I'm on flats or downhills, obviously.

I prefer to have my seat tiltled slightly upwards at the tip and aligned straight. Many people I've heard of have their saddle aligned slightly to one side and flat horizontally. As you may already know, it takes a little familiarity with knowing what your God-given bone structure is. We're all built differently - so no two riders will have the same response to a saddle, or to the position of a saddle. Understand what position your pelvic bones are tilted and you'll understand your more comfortable riding positions better.

As far as actual brands of seats - I prefer the Selle Italia, Lady Gelflow. Go to a bike shop and sit on several - but to be honest that won't help much. Try all the positions for whatever saddle you have - understanding that shifting around is just part of the ride. If you're constantly hot and itchy and bruised feeling, then try something like chamois-butter next. Try not to drop lots of money on a saddle until you've learned your body and some techniques first. Then start mastering the various saddles.