Old 07-17-03, 06:47 AM
mightypudge
Victim of Circumstance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question about "custom" stems

Just yesterday I stumbled upon a fantastic LBS where I plan to take all of my business. They have a friendly, knowledgeable staff and a great selection of bikes, parts, and clothes. I got to ogle some beauties: Cannondale, Bianchi, Serotta, Kestrel, OMG!!

Because I was never given a proper fitting for either of my bikes, I asked if they could do a fitting for me. He said they charge $65 for a 90-minute fitting session. They have a special fitting bike and the take measurements not only of my body parts, but they also measure limb flexibility, weight, etc.

Then he mentioned that usually it is necessary to replace the stock stem with a custom-sized aluminum stem. When I asked why, he said because usually after a good fitting it is necessary to really tweak the stem angle and extension, and stock stems often don't fit the bill. He said the stems usually cost about $50 and it is added to the cost of the fitting.

So here is my question. Does this jive? I mean, I've been reading up on fittings and I've never heard of needing a custom stem.