Old 07-09-06, 05:43 PM
jaws

Bikes: 06 Fuji Team RC, 03 K2 Team ZED

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On Easter weekend, I rode some long climbs and speedy descents (up to 44 MPH). On these long downhill runs, there were some pipe cattle guards consisting of about 12 2" pipes crossing the road. The speed was thrilling and we never thought about slowing down for the guards. Our group had to stop for traffic after about 20 miles and as we were stopped, I looked down at my front wheel and saw that the quick release was loose - put a chill right through my body.
The only thing I can figure is that when I was preparing the bike before the ride, I installed the wheel and forgot to tighten the quick release. This is the first and only time that I have forgotten this VERY IMPORTANT stage of readying the bike.
I might owe my life to the "lawyer bumps " (and the Good Lord) for holding the front wheel on while going over the cattle guards at speed.
In the past, I have done my share of complaining about the inconvience but, nevermore. Besides, it only takes seconds more to unscrew the axle nut enough to clear the bumps.
Score one for the bumps!
Likes For jaws: