crosswater
GiantOldGuy

Bikes: Merckx Mx Leader, Trek Singletrack 800, 87 Santana Elan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
I want to do this and I have been there by car. Please tell me how you got along with the cars on that road? If my memory is right, there is no bike lane and fairly heavy traffic? Is it a question of what time of the year?
I like to do this next year.
Do they rent Tandems? Do you have a e-mail address of the rental place?
Thanks in advance.
Will
The address is donnie@gocyclingmaui.com

They had a tandem on display. A gorgeous one I might add. Since my wife was not up for the ride... Like I was ..I didn't ask. They didn't seem to be interested in us riding it....don't know the size. It was setup for offroad.

The traffic was very careful around us. The tour buses were the exciting moments. They already took up a lot of road and they were going uphill. They didn't want to slow down much. Almost everyone gave us the bike lane (sometimes wide sometimes not so wide) and half of the car lane or more. The traffic was light to moderate...never heavy; and that's by rural Tennessee standards. The only contact we had on the way down was two cars and we tailed them for several miles each before they pulled away on a long straightaway. I can't comment about the time of year issue.

Both times I was on Maui, this June 23-26 and 26 years ago in June the traffic seemed to be about the same....you know how memory is....what was I saying? I don't know how it is any other time of year. Just keep in mind that it gets very cold at 10000 ft.

Last edited by crosswater; 07-12-06 at 04:28 PM.