DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HopedaleHills
DF,

Another NE'er checking in. One of the nice areas of VT is the Woodstock area. The little village of Quechee has a really nice bed and breakfast, the Woodstock Inn is great but a little pricey. The village of Woodstock itself is full of quaint NE shops and art galleries. Plenty of hilly roads to ride.

If you have never been to NE before you really should reserve the last couple days for exploring the coast. You could spend your last couple nights on Cape Cod and because it is the end of the tourist season it will not be so crowded. The Cape Cod Rail Trail goes for 28 miles from Dennis to Wellfleet through some classic Cape Cod landscape including cranberry bogs. There is also a 7 mile trail along the Cape Cod canal. There is a LBS about a mile from the start in Harwich that rents decent bikes (The Bike Depot). Both these trails are flat. You are still only a little over an hour from Logan for the flight home.

If you really want to get adventerous, visit Newport RI for the last couple days. Great seaside town with alot of history and great bike rides around Ocean Drive. It's about 1.5-2.0 hours from Logan.
Thanks. We did the Cape a few years back - didn't bike, but saw Wellfleet (in fact, we stayed there) all the way out to Provincetown, etc. Even did Martha's Vineyard - HEAVY rain the whole time.

We really have our eye on Maine, Vermont and NH. Right now, we plan on leaving Boston and heading up to Portsmouth. Then going up to Bar Harbor to see Acadia NP, and perhaps take the CAT from Bar Harbor to Nova Scotia.

One of my problems is that I know nothing about traveling times in this area. The map is a bit misleading, because I am used to western scaling, while eastern scaling is much different. I know nothing about traffic loads out of Boston going north, but assume it is crowded like every place else! I guess I will have to do some mapquests. We are also working with a AAA travel consultant.

Thanks so much for your input!