View Single Post
Old 07-13-06, 08:28 AM
dalmore
Neat - w/ ice on the side

Bikes: 2005 Dahon Speed TR, 2006 Dahon Mu SL, 2000 GT XiZang, 1999ish Rock Lobster, 2007 Dean Animas CTI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The switch from a 32 to a 26 tooth large cog will allow you to remove 3 "half-links" but you can only remove them in groups of 2 so that's the best you can do. If you avoid the smallest two cogs in the Capreo cassette while in the middle or granny ring, the chain doesn't have to be changed at all.

However, what's the purpose of the change? The Capreo is intended for small wheel (20") bikes like Bike Fridays to get an adequately high top gear with out using absurdly large chainrings. Assuming your current bike is an MTB with a 44T big chainring, the Capreo will give a 127" top gear which is extremely high. Is your current 104" high gear not enough?
Thanks - Yes, the idea is to raise the gearing. I'm calculating the gearing a little different using a 26x1.25 road tire - I'd go from a 98 which is a little low for my taste to a 120 which is a little high.

If I forego the capreo and go with 700 cc wheels for the road setup - I'd get about a 107 with the 11 tooth - maybe that's the way I should look to go - I'll just have to deal with the brake adaptor then ...

I was just thinking that since I'm going to be ordering wheels and a cassette anyway maybe the capreo will give me what I need without the brake adaptor - well what I want. As for need - I could just go slower and be happy at 98 inches on top ...