Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
At $65, that Nashbar deelie is not bad.

But what problems do you encounter with a $5 homemade headset press?
I haven't tried the homemade press at all so I can't say I've had any problems with it. I just wanted to weigh the pros and cons of a homemade press vs a cheap commercial model. In the past I've embarked on DIY projects and actually ended up spending more than it would have cost to buy a prebuilt unit by the time all the hidden costs were figured in (like not being able to buy 1 of something, but having to by a 10 pack, or needing a special tool etc.). In this instance the homemade press is simple enough that I seriously doubt that would be the case, but anyway it's good to hear peoples' opinions on the Nashbar press, since it's on sale for around $52 for a few more hours (with the 20% off code good through 7/14/06).

P.S. Your link is the best I've seen for describing how to make one of these. Really simple and sweet. I've seen some pretty arcane designs that involve multiple sizes of PVC pipe that fit inside each other and slide inside the head tube, etc, which kind of scared me off. I'll have to try the copper pipe cup remover since I do have some scrap pipe laying around.