Old 07-15-06, 09:32 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Did you just buy this off of Craigslist in DC?

The first thing you need to do is figure out the size of the tires--they might be 27" instead of 700s--and the width between the chainstays (i.e. for the appropiate over locknut length).

I do not know much about tubular tires other than they are not standard. I personally like to use standard components available anywhere. If the wheels are 700s and the width is 126mm or wider, you can get a great wheelset from Performance for $200-->Mavic Open Pro with Ultegra hubs. If memory serves me right, you will have have issues with the rear cassette but appropriate ones are inexpensive. After the switch to Shimano hub, there is a wide assortment of cassettes that will give a wider gear range. You will probably have to set up the rear derailer as a friction shifter (if it isn't already). According to the size of the cassette, you might have to get another chain. I think that you can get away with the entire job (excluding labor) for less than $300. If you get lucky with some sales, you might be able to stay under $300 with labor since all of the work is straight forward.

I forgot to include new tires in the estimate above.

For touring, you bought a great bike. That is, assuming it is in good shape and standard components fit. Reynolds 531 has a comfortable flex to it which makes it appropriate for longer distances. Congratulations.