Old 07-17-06, 07:25 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
Yeah, the idea is that the driver sees more easily when he's leaving the parking spot.

The disadvantage is that back-in parking requires the driver to be able to "aim" (between two other parked cars) while in reverse with relatively small margins of error... A lot of drivers probably can't do that. I know, .

With back-out diagonal, no reverse aiming is required, driver only need to remain straight while backing out, and make a broad sweeping turn with relatively high margins for error once they're most of the way out
True, no reverse aiming is required, neither is any reverse "looking for bikes" while backing out of diagonal parking. Diagonal parking is one situation that still gives me problems when riding. I've even been hit once (gently) by a car backing out on the diagonal. There doesn't seem to be a good place to ride on these streets. Ride too close to the parked cars and you hit them when they back out. Ride further out and they hit you. The only solution I've found is to slow way the hell down and that isn't real cool either.

I'm looking forward to finding out how these Lincoln BLs work out in practice. I'm also thinking of an alternative. How about making the outer lane into a lane used ONLY for people who are in the process of parking. Maybe special arrows and signs that say, "Use Right Lane Only When Parking."

"Think Outside the Cage"