Old 07-20-06, 09:00 AM
hardtail
I can't remember

Bikes: Thorn Raven

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a Thorn Raven, and I can say it's a good bike. I REALLY like the Rohloff hub. It's ideal for touring. It's a matter of preference I suppose, but I don't think I could go back to derailleurs. I had my bike shipped to Japan, and while there were some issues, Thorn were very easy to deal with.

However I have to say that I'm somewhat disappointed with the frame. It's not the quality (although I feel a bike like the Nomad is of better frame quality), but the aesthetics. The welding is neat and clean, but the frame just looks very ordinary. Very bland. Also, that head badge is shocking. Really tacky. I'm still considering just pulling it off my bike.

The Raven does ride really well, so I'm not complaining. It's just I like a bike to look good as well as ride nicely.

Hoogie,

I've visited your website (from a link you provided on one of the threads on the Thorn website) a few times and have admired your Nomad. I've got the largest sized Raven. I'm 181cm and around 75kg. I believe that you're quite a bit bigger than that. Just my opinion, but if I were you I'd be very slow to part with that Nomad you have. I really think that the Raven frame while strong, is not as sturdy as the Nomad. I've visited SJS so have seen a Nomad first hand. Just my opinion and thought that in the interests of being helpful I'd mention it.