View Single Post
Old 07-26-06, 08:20 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by srrs
so i left at the beginning of may on what was supposed to be a 10 week long solo tour. i made it two weeks before taking a train the rest of the way. nasty headwinds for 10 out of 14 days. rain and cold for a lot of them, too. it just wasn't that much fun, and by the end of the couple of weeks, it didn't feel like vacation. it definitely changed my life in a lot of ways, but it wasn't at all what i expected.

so at this point i'm wondering, what now? i think i'll try another, shorter tour next year, probably a more scenic route (instead of across ohio, illinois, and indiana).. it's hard though, because i'm fighting the feeling that i'm a big failure, that i couldn't hack it. since i got off the train, my relationship with the bike hasn't been the same - it's been really difficult for me to ride it much. it's almost like i'm afraid of it, like something's gone sour.

can anyone share their experiences after they cut a tour short? what's going on here? is there a way i can conquer this feeling that i failed and should just never touch a bike or a pannier again?
Solo touring is a lot tougher than you think, especially if it's a miserable tour. You have no one to complain to or share your misery with. Stop kicking yourself, you did 2 weeks and you made it x number of miles. Look for something positive about the trip (there is something there, trust me ) and keep planning. After a few more tours...short ones...you'll say to yourself at the end of it, "I'm never going to do that again...Hmmm. Wonder where I should go next time?"

Go look at my trip (link below).
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!