View Single Post
Old 07-26-06, 10:12 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I just found a very interesting article somewhat related to the topic here. I suggest it would be good for all Americans to correct ( if nothing else, maybe help out our trade deficit.) by clearing up our hopefully, misunderstood international image. The article from Reuters,
"Anti-Americanism prompts push for Citizen Diplomacy.'
The American people do not deserve this. Not the first time this has been the case. Americans were maligned in the 50's. I think it unfair. I do not agree with it either. Not my expereince, so far.
But, I hate to think individual Americans suffer because of poorly perceived US policies. I hope we all want to do our part to correct this possible stereotype against us as people.
Don't blame the French. Note the World Cup officials asked the US flag not be displayed in Germany.
Some of you may not care. That only hurts yourself. Does not have to be that way.
What do you think of this articles' suggestions.
Link below.
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...domesticNews-3

By Bernd Debusmann, Special Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - With anti-American sentiment at unprecedented levels around the world, Americans worried about their country's low standing are pushing a grassroots campaign to change foreign perceptions of the United States "one handshake at a time."

The idea is to turn millions of Americans into "citizen diplomats" who use personal meetings with foreigners to counter the ugly image of the United States shown in a series of international public opinion polls. They show widespread negative attitudes not only toward U.S. policies but also toward the American people and, increasingly, even American products.

To stem the relentless decline of America's international standing -- a dramatic change from the almost universal sympathy for the country immediately after the September 11 attacks on New York and Washington --leaders of more than 30 civic organizations formed a "Coalition for Citizen Diplomacy" two years ago.