View Single Post
Old 07-27-06, 01:07 PM
blknwhtfoto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where did my energy Go?HELP?

Yesterday I went out for my longest ride yet, 38.5 mi in 2 hours, I usually ride 20 miles in an hour and a half so this was quite a bit faster than I am used to. It was mostly rolling steep hills, which really slowed me down(I'm on a recumbent and I'm not a very strong climber yet). I was out with a group and I did fine for about 3/4's of the ride, then I just lost all my energy, I was getting farther and farther back from the remaining three people I could see and I just couldn't put out anything more. I finally caught up with them but it took about 5 miles of chasing them.
The ride left at 6pm and at that point all I had eaten was two slices of pizza at about 4 oclock. My legs weren't filled up with lactaic acid or anything, but I just didn't have any steam left. I'd been drinking water regularly(it was pretty hot though about 85 or 90 in full sun for the most part).

Could my low energy levels been due to a lack of food in my belly? I am going out to do the ride again today and I'll try and keep up the same speeds, should I eat something as I go?

I am trying to gauge whether or not I am ready to do the Blackberry Bramble, a full century, it is in about 2 weeks. I am going to go out with the group again for a flat 70 miler. If I can do that, I know that a century is do-able.

Thanks,
Mike Perrault