View Single Post
Old 07-27-06, 11:33 PM
Man In Black

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by moxfyre
Well, one man's beater is another man's treasure . For people like you and I who are strapped for cash, our best bet is typically to find bikes that are of a good quality but aren't trendy or new.

My favorite are Japanese road bikes from the 80s. You'd be amazed how many aging boomers have good quality 25 year old bikes sitting around that don't need much more than air in the tires and a good cleaning. I got my girlfriend a great 1983 Nishiki Sport for only $25 from some guy who was moving. The freewheel was seized up (WD-40) and the chain was rusted ($10 for a new one), and voilà it's a great bike with good SunTour and Diacompe components. Of course, being a bike dork I then repainted it, replaced the shifters and brake levers, and rewrapped the handlebars, but you get the idea
By beater I meant a bike to tide me over while I look for a good used bike.

The reason Im looking for a bike was because my old road bike a friend gave me for free got to the point where it needs a lot of work, and I figured it would be easier to find a used bike, or whatever.

It was a 23 year old "SR" japanese bike...7 speed i think. Need a new rear wheel and freewheel, at the very least a freewheel, Not sure if the tire is bent too much to be trued successfully. Needs New tires, tubes, chain, pedal and pedal "arm", brake pads, everythings real worn, but it was a good bike.

Ill have to do some perusing and keep tabs on craigslist and see if I cant get myself a deal ^.^

Last edited by Man In Black; 07-27-06 at 11:51 PM.