Thread: Brooks saddles
View Single Post
Old 07-28-06, 08:20 PM
Big Paulie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After 5 tries with leather saddles (a b-17, 2 Champion Professionals, a Colt, and 2 Lepper Voyagers) several things come to mind.

One is the break-in is actually kind of fun. It gives you a sense that future will be better.

Two, "the future is uncertain and the end is always near."

Leather is in a constant state of flux, and a good saddle one month can be the worst thing imaginable the next. Or vise versa. My best luck with with new or nearly new Professional. They were great for me until they begin to break in. The "center ridge" rose into my tender area as my sit bone dimples grew deeper, and became excrusiating.

The Voyagers were also good in the beginning, but they both broke at the rear of the frame before 1000 miles.

The Colt sucked from day one. Pure torture.

The other problem with Brooks saddles is that they can't be pushed very far back, even with a setback post. For me the weight of leather isn't an issue at all. And, living in SO Cal, rain isn't much of an issue, but it would be if I lived just about anywhere else.

All that said, I can't emphsize enough that you may hop on a Brooks and be in heaven. I've gone through some periods where a Brooks was really working for me, and it was great. Also, you have to be good at fiddling with tilt angle. It makes a HUGE difference.

The epilog of the story is that a few years back I read where the Selle San Marcos Regal was essentially the Brooks Professional "in plastic." So I tried one, and it worked fine...and it's still working for me after 10,000 miles.

Last edited by Big Paulie; 07-28-06 at 10:14 PM.