View Single Post
Old 07-29-06, 10:57 PM
oscarzeta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The pain, etc.

I've been lurking here for quite a while and have soaked in a lot of the knowledge here. Thanks!

I'm 5'9" and about 265lbs and 33yrs old. Very overweight. I did play NCAA Div.I college soccer, so I know what it's like to be in top physical condition. But, ever since I quit soccer, I've been stagnant, sedentary. Hence, the weight.

I decided enough is enough and I bought a mountain bike, in the hope that I can find a sport that I enjoy and can help me get into shape. I've also begun a weight-lifting program.

I recently purchased a Cannondale F300 and have put Specialized Nimbus tires on it so that I can ride ok on flat surfaces and possibly commute to work.

My specific question is regarding the pain. I rode for about 20 minutes today on the pavement and my ass is killing me. I understand it's gonna hurt at first, but what can I do to ease the pain? I have to balance on my legs and put less weight on my ass, which makes pedaling harder, or so it seems. I have no problem just toughing it out, but I would like to know what is normal and what kind of options I have. Do the padded shorts really help? A suspension post? A different saddle?

I'm riding pretty slow and would like to ride as long as possible, but the pain keeps me from doing this. On the positive side, it's been too long since I've been active. Getting out in the hot sun brings back memories of that soccer field. Any suggestions would be greatly appreicated!