Old 07-30-06, 06:35 PM
andylago
i buy vinyl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
142 mile 3 day mtb ride... backpack or trunk bag/rack?

i posted the other day with a question regarding what gear to bring in my pack. ..assuming i would be using a backpack. and now i've been thinking, sould i use a backpack, or go for the rack and trunk bag?

my backpack is well ventilated and holds 1700 ci's. i 'm definitely not going to pack it full, but i'm still worried about having all the weight on my back since the ride is about 1/3 singletrack. so i'm thinking about something like this rack http://harriscyclery.net/page.cfm?Pa...ils&sku=RK7000 since i don't have the eyelets for a regular rack on my bike. with a 700 - 900 ci trunk bag, a frame bag on the front of my frame, and my normal sized hydration pack, i think i could fit all the stuff i would have packed in my larger pack. this would spread the weight around a little bit and take most of it off my back.

does this sound like a good idea? the possible complications off the top of my head are:
  • the possibility of the rack swing from side to side (would have to make a few test runs to prove/disprove/address this)
  • the trunk bag sitting so high that i can't hang my butt off the back of the seat on steep descents
  • weight on rack sitting so high that it affects the center of gravity of the bike
anybody haver any thoughts or experiences? i think i'll post in the mtb forum too. thanks.