View Single Post
Old 07-29-03, 09:34 AM
a2psyklnut

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to bash you Pat, but you're way off.

BMX bikes come in many different wheel sizes but 20" and 24" are the most common. The 24" are called BMX cruisers. Frames come in a variety of sizes, from Mini's (some with 18" wheels), Juniors (really thin 20" wheels), Standard, Expert (slightly longer frames) and Pro's (even longer top-tubes). Pro's are probably what you're after they are usually marked "XL or XXL" to designate the length of the top tube. Remember the longer the frame the longer the wheelbase and the slower the bike will handle. It'll still be fast, but will go through tight turns in a bigger arc. If jumping, it'll be a little bit slower to respond to tricks in the air.

A cruiser is basically a bigger version of a 20" bike. This may be the ticket if you want a relatively inexpensive single speed bike that can handle being abused, and jumped. I'm 34 and actually have one to practice my jumping skills. I occasionally take it to the BMX track to work on my sprints as well.

Most mtn bikes have 26" wheels, (however some now come in 24") and may be a good compromise if you're just using it for transportation. Mtn bikes have different "FRAME" sizes from 13" (really small) all the way up to 21 or 22" (for really tall people). You'll probably fit on a 16" to 18" frame. Remember though, if you're gonna jump with it and abuse it, it's not as strong as a BMX bike or a BMX cruiser.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger