View Single Post
Old 08-04-06, 12:24 AM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Egads...true, it is well known that doping has been and most likely is relatively wide spread in the peloton, but can we at least wait to see what the lab says first? LeMond, like MOST cyclists during that period and before probably did use some kind of enhancement. It may be discouraging to some of the "youngins" who aspire to be a professional, but it is a fact, only for now hopefully. But I don't think that it is going to stop most people from watching racing, nor cause anyone to hang their wheels up in the garage for good. I'm not going to miss any OLN coverage anytime soon if I can help it. Also, no one seems to want to examine just how new "modern" cycling is. Up until LeMond, european cycling was very much a sport that was a pathway out of a rather poverty level life. When "GL" showed up, cycling became far more available to the international community AND salaries increased sometimes as much as ten-fold for riders. Large coporations became interested and massive amounts of money started pouring into the sport. Today's racing is still an evolving enterprise and it's true that old habits die hard and I'm confident that drug use will be cut further and further as time goes on and hopefully, personal responsibility will increase also. By the way, does anyone here know that Merckx used to do advertisements for Camel cigarettes...standing with his bike in front of him while in his team duds!!!! I didn't believe it until I saw it!!