Old 08-05-06, 04:50 PM
james_swift
All ur bike r belong Enki

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by yangmusa
Hey Wav (or anyone else), after your advice on the Brompton, maybe you have some great tips for the Swift too?

My previous bikes with internal hubs have had semi-horizontal drop outs, so getting the wheel out has been very easy. On my Swift Peter has set up the chain length so that the hub axle is all the way forward in the track end slot. Hence, even if I loosen the hub axle, there's no way to create slack on the chain for me to slip the chain off the cog. The only way I can see to get the rear wheel off is to undo the master chain link, and that seems like an excessive amount of effort just to get a wheel off (especially for roadside tube changes, though I would generally just add a patch without removing the wheel)

Thanks!
2 options:

1.) Put an extra link in the chain. You'll need to readjust the brake pads, as the wheel will need to be pulled back to take-up the extra slack. If the rear axle is long enough, you can use an axle tug to keep the rear wheel in adjustment. I have RedLines on my Swift and my Dahon (SA-5 internal).

2.) Put an extra link in the chain and use a spring-loaded chain tensioner. Not very elegant looking, and you'll be adding friction to the drivetrain.