View Single Post
Old 08-07-06, 02:06 PM
wabbit
Sprockette

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's funny, but lately i've been wondering if anyone tells kids about safety anymore. I've had a few near misses.

- on a bike path, two BMXer/freeriders coming back from the dirt jumps. One of them was looking across the lake and his bike wandered into my lane (going the opposite way). I yelled, 'hey! Watch it!' Fortunately, the kid had pretty good reflexes, being a BMXer so he got out of the way fast.

- coming back from a ride with a friend, this little kid suddenly turned left and right into our path. No warning, no signal nothing. The funny thing is he was with his mother and sister who were right behind him. We were really scared and furious...it was a close call.

-coming back yesterday, the bike path (which is usually quiet at that time of day) goes over a narrow bridge. Suddenly, a little kid about 5 stops in the wrong lane, turns back to yell something at his family who were right behind him. It's a blind turn and usually you go slow there anyways, but he never would have seen me coming.

Of course, adults do stupid sh*t all the time, usually people who don't ride much. But kids are really vulnerable.... what p%sses me off is that if there was collision, and some poor kid was hurt (and me too probably) I'd be blamed because I'm older and on a road bike, which of course means I'm going TOO FAST and am one of those heartless roadies. But truthfully, don't parents ever even tell kids about bike safety? Or do they assume that the entire world will stop for their kids?