View Single Post
Old 08-07-06, 05:30 PM
Keith99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Is that Ohio Ave. ? An extension of Broadway? If so you may have a problem. I don's see any reasonable alternates. Still a bit more exploring on weekends might help a bit.

Do remember that the same things that make this area nasty on the roads also make it even worse at every intersection when you come off the sidewalk.

Originally Posted by agarose2000
I'm new to bike commuting and was amazed that road biking could be considered safer than sidewalk commuting.

I live in Santa Monica CA; I was hoping to ride the roads the whole way to work (6mi), but the busy Los Angeles streets with fast drivers definitely make me nervous.

I guess I was looking for an experienced commuter to give me advice on the following: I go thru a 1.5 mile of road en route that is only one lane wide, parked cars in the shoulder, and high-volume, slow speed rush hour traffic going about 15-25mph. I've been riding the sidewalk slowly in an effort to not annoy the rush hour motorists, whom I can't keep up with (I'm on a mtn bike, not a road bike, and there are stop signs every 1-2 blocks.) Fortunately there are few, if any peds en route, so I'm definitely not endagering any of them. However, it's slow going with all the stops, curbs, and ped-speed biking. I tried taking parallel side streets, but the cars go faster, and the one I'm using (Ohio St) is a designated bikepath street (and the others arent).

Just wondering how some of you experienced bikers would handle this (besides riding as fast as the cars at 25-30mph with stop signs - I can't do it!).

Thanks