Old 08-08-06, 04:10 AM
Hoyt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good question.

I just started back after a 13 year layoff. I had a shop do a complete overhaul on my 1991 bike, replace a few parts and cables. I'll probably take it in periodically for an overhaul.

Interestingly, the first shop I went to said I wouldn't be able to find parts and wheels for a 1991 bike -- but a post on here got me all the advice I needed to get it fixed.

I'll do things that I can handle in 30 minutes to an hour -- but, other than that, I'm going to take it to a shop. But, I don't have the time to let them handle all the little things that need adjustment.

I'm probably going to mount a new front derailleur myself and I just changed out the stem to make the bike more comfortable.

What I'm not going to do is get back into the endless tinkering I used to do before most rides. It takes too much time and I've got other things I need to do (particularly those my wife suggests).

I've got most of the tools -- including bottom bracket wrenches and the like -- but it used to take me hours to get stuff like that right and I was never positive I had it 'perfect". Of course, if I get a more modern bike, my tools may be obsolete. Things have changed a bunch in 15 years. Like, what is a "threadless" headset?

Finally, I can afford a little downtime to let a bike shop handle some things because I have other sports stuff I have to work in besides biking.

Come to think of it, I think my brakes need adjusting. Here I go again. . . . . . .

Last edited by Hoyt; 08-08-06 at 08:05 AM.