Old 08-08-06, 08:35 AM
bfloyd

Bikes: vintage Raleigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kuan
May I ask why you only have three hours? That seems like a lot of stress to me, trying to get three hours in a week. The rest of your week must be hellish!

You're 40, I'm 38. I can't do more than one seriously hard workout a week. I can't do more than 30 minutes at any kind of intensity above my LT. It takes me 2+ days to recover. Both of these days can't be anything more real easy riding or running, around 136-140 HR. I workout about 6 times a week though. The harder workouts consist of one distance workout of 1.5-3 hours starting at around 70% and ending at 80%, and one interval workout. I'm just starting out on intervals right now, so the total work at the moment is around 10 minutes. I started with a HRM last year with a RHR of 59. My RHR is now 46, my MHR is 183. Let that be your kinda-sorta guide. What to do what do do?

Edit: I don't want this to be about me. I can only give advice based on experience and can't really quote any studies and stuff. To date I haven't done much interval training. Start with one session every 10 days and work up. Keep the hard work minutes low. You don't need to do that much. I think the cardio adapts real quick.
I do wish to ride more than three hours a week but with shufling between the needs of six children, a wife, and a demanding job (I just returned from a week out of the country but was lucky enough to bring my bike this time), three hours is all I have for the week. I am moreso training for individual fitness but I also love the feel of speed. I may wish to do some local time trials here in the near future as well but only for pesonal bests.