Old 08-08-06, 12:04 PM
lyledriver
Electrical Hazard

Bikes: a bunch.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red light running is QUITE regular here in Vancouver.

In fact, in the last month, two of my friends have been hit by people blatantly running the red lights along our cities bike routes.

In both instances, my friend pushes the ped/cyclist crossing button, waits for their signal, goes, then gets mowed down by someone completely disregarding the light. My friends were both hurt because they trusted that traffic would stop.

Every afternoon on my commute, I have to hit about 10 of these buttons in order to cross the major streets. Sure enough, I see at LEAST one person a day, that just doesn't feel like stopping.

I've taken to 'faking out' the red light runners, by being a standing sprint type position on my bike when the light turns, then shouldering down and advancing half a crank revolution, until I'm almost at their door (but not in their projected path).

I realize how agressive and dangerous this is. Not for me so much, but for the people in their cars who have already stopped. If the red light runner sees me and swerves mid intersection, they could collide with the oncoming stopped cars.

Most recently I did this to a guy on a loud motorbike with a V engine. When the light was changing I heard him gear down to second (how could I not?) but he just wasn't braking.

When I advanced on him he got spooked and completely locked the back brake of his motorcycle, causing it to fishtail skid in front of me, through the intersection. He over corrected and had to stomp his foot down to avoid dumping the bike. When he regained control he let off the clutch and peeled away.

I hate to say it, but there is a certain percentage of me that just wants to see these people crash.
It might wake them up.