View Single Post
Old 08-10-06, 02:31 PM
duhhuh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here, where I work, we trust multi-million dollar machines to lithium complex #2 grease from whatever supplier has won the contract, and they all work the same. Any reputable company makes a good lubricant and a #2 grease is a #2 grease. Current vendor is She**, previously Mob**, Tex*** Cast***. Honestly, a quality lube is good. What defines the lube is the additive package and that is pretty much the same from supplier to supplier. If there was a standout, the rest would be out of business. Just like chain lubes, (Oh boy, here we go) the purpose of the lube is three fold. One, reduce sliding friction. Two, carry heat away from the bearing surfaces, in a chain this is the pin and roller assembly. Thirdly, to carry contaminants away from the rolling elements, again the pins and rollers. That is why I like to use a light oil. The homebrew concoction of one part oil and three parts mineral spirits as a vehicle is just fine. My personal choice, I know many disagree and that is fine. This is what I like to use.