Old 08-11-06, 12:18 PM
JohnV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mothra
"Long ride" should be 2-3 hours. Doesn't matter the speed, in the beginning, you want to go slow enough so that you can complete the entire time at a steady speed. Later as you get stronger, your "steady speed" "long ride" will be faster, but you should still go out 2-3 hours once a week. This is an endurance ride, lets you build up your energy delivery system and lets you build resistance to fatigue. .
I have a question bout this. I have been doing the same thing, getting back into shape again after a real bad injury. I gained wieght and basically was a coach potato. So, been at it a year, did the gym during the winter months.
I bought a new bike last October, and this past April installed a Garmin Edge 305 with HR/Cad. It stores everything I do in real time. I really thought I was doing fairly well, but when I look at the stats... Im not so sure. Especially the graphs that show your heart rate, against speed, cadence, etc. It's all spikey and up and down. I am concerned that I am not really getting any benifit. I do at least one long ride a week, do 30 to 40 miles in about 3 hours. I think I have too much coasting. My heart rate seems quite good though, recovery is quick. I think perhaps it's time to start some organized training meathod.