DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisvu05
well 20.1 mph was finishing like 3rd to last...the leaders lapped me twice I think...they were probably closer to the 25mph range
Yeah, the last Cat 5 crit I did on a flat course with 6 90's was exactly 25.0.... Those are fun

BTW, here's something that might help a little... I've started using the online version of the Cyclist's training bible at trainingpeaks.com, and one workout that's relatively low-key and fun to do is the "cornering sprints" workout. Good one to do on pre-race days. Here's the quote (hope the copyright police don't track me down):

Bike 1:03 S3b
Warm-up well. Then on a curbed course, sprint in and out of corners several times. Work on body and bike positions for different scenarios--dry (lean bike, not body) and wet (lean body, not bike). If possible, also do some off-camber and 180 degree turns. Each cornering sprint should last no longer than about 8 seconds. Long recoveries between corners--3-5 minutes.
I found this little drill very helpful because maintaining speed in/out of corners isn't something I really worried about when riding recreationally, but this workout has really helped hone my technique in the corners. Your results may vary