Old 08-14-06, 12:32 PM
Vinokurtov
Now Racer Ex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman1776
I started using a heart rate monitor to structure my training since the Union Vale Road Race in July. I have noticed a marked improvement since, and find it controlls my efforts much better than by percieved exertion.
Good job and congrats on sticking with it and realizing the value of structure.

Few things to consider as you keep going:

1) HRM's have a lag between effort and HR. If you're doing really intense crit/sprint type efforts during a race you'll need to go back to percieved exertion to keep from blowing. Now's the time to learn what it feels like at LT using the HRM, file that away for future use.

2) Improvement in results shouldn't be your only measure of progress. Field strength and races vary greatly in the lower Cats, you'll get guys who are passing through quickly on their way up; this can really change the pace/complextion of the race. And you'll have the "perpetual 4's", or the Baggers O' Sand.

By time you start racing Cat3 and above the fields will be uniformly strong with some guys peaking (read: really really strong), this is especially true in the Master's 1/2/3 if you get there. That's when you'll really get a feel for your strength and endurance, because the race will be faster from the get go.