Old 08-15-06, 08:36 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Kool Stop:What will fit?

I have a set of Shimano Long reach A550 brakes. They come with the standard Shimano pad. These are not Ultegra level so the pad is not attached to a holder. I bought some kool stops from Harris Cyclery and had one heck of time installing them. As the calipers are dual pivot, the brakes pads are offset (higher on one side lower on the other) but I could not get the shoes &holders to fit. It was very difficult to aatach them to the brake arms. They only fit at one position. I ran them for about 2 days but went back to the stock pads as they gave me better response. I can't return the pads becuase they are used but I would like to use a salmon kool stop for the up coming winter. Any ideas as to which pad will fit? The exisitng stock shoe attaches via an allen nut and the pad is has a threaded post. I looked at the shimano replacement kool stops but they look to have the same mounting hardware as the ones I have now. They are a bit pricey so if anyone could tell me what would work I would appreciate it. Also I do not want to file the brake arms to accept the shoes.