Old 08-06-03, 06:55 AM
Rich Clark
A Heart Needs a Home

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by devinci_freak
I personnaly have such tires at home and I know the 32c size can be inflated easily to 100psi (94 is the recommended one, but the tire is strong enough to take more). I also know the continental tires are known for sticking to the road, and the thread is more likely to make a slow tire. And about the weight, I'll check this because I really doubt they are heavier than the continental top touring.
It's nice for you that you recommend tires that you've had good luck with. And I have no reason to doubt that these are good tires. They appear to be very difficult to find at retail in the US, however.

I do have a problem with someone claiming to "know" something about a tire he's never used.

Your statement about the "thread is more likely to make a slow tire" makes no sense to me. If you mean "tread," the Conti's don't have much of a tread pattern at all, which is how it should be. Tread patterns on road tires are of no benefit.

As for weight, you're right, the Hutchinsons are all of 10 grams lighter. By mistake I was comparing weights for the 37's; the Hutchinsons are much heavier in that size.

It's interesting that the tires apparently show a different recommended inflation pressure on their sidewalls than is listed on Hutchinson's site (which says 57psi/4 bar for the 32).

In any case, I think you'll find that the TT2k is the most widely-recommended touring tire for many reasone, the primary one being that they are so consistently reliable. It's entirely possible the Hutchinson Globetrotter is its equal; having never tried it, I wouldn't "know." You're the first person I've ever seen recommend it, perhaps because it's more commonly sold in Canada and Europe, where it seems to be popular as original equipment on hybrids and such.

RichC