Old 08-18-06, 12:48 AM
gravyboat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please help this idiot tighten handlebars

This is embarrassing but what can I say- I can't figure this out and until I do I can't ride. I apologize if I'm not using the correct terms and hope you can follow this.

I bought an old Specialized Hardrock Classic at a garage sale last weekend. Everything works fine but I wanted to raise the handlebar pole. So I loosened the bolt on top with an Allen wrench, raised it, then tried to tighten the bolt.

No go. I thought I was misaligned or something but no- the bolt wasn't reaching the threads. I was late for something so I thought I'd just lower the pole to the original position (which is the lowest it can go), tighten it up and ride off.

I still couldn't reach the threads. Now I think I'm going nuts. I removed the pole and peered in with a flashlight and see the opening where I assume the bolt threads into. It's way, way down there. So I grab a tape and measure from the opening where the pole goes in to the hole where the bolt threads into.

That distance is 5.5 inches. The bolt is 6.5 inches. But when the pole is put back in, there's also 2.5 inches from the top of the pole (where the top of the bolt sits) to the opening where the pole goes in. I'm no mathematician, but that seems to mean that the bolt has to be a little longer than 2.5 + 5.5 = 8 inches long.

Or else it means that I'm missing something here- or maybe dropped a part? Any suggestions would be appreciated as I really want to start riding this bike.