Old 08-18-06, 10:49 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by All1NTao
The stem pinch had much more clearance with the compression plug inside the steerer, ie. the carbon steerer was being compressed by the stem when the compression plug was not inside the steerer. So the idea of removing the compression plug once the stack is tight may not be prudent.
I left the plug installed in my steerer too. The proposal to remove it once the headset was adjusted and the stem tightened was to placate the extreme weight weenies, not a serious recommendation.

In short the Easton Bear Trap and other similar devices are not the better mousetrap but another invention that is a complete failure. I think I will convert mine into a nice piece of jewelry.
It's nice to know my experience wasn't unique and I hope Easton is listening. BTW, I have two Bear Traps and if you find a good alternative use for them I'd appreciate hearing about it. Matching ear rings maybe