Thread: Swift folders
View Single Post
Old 08-18-06, 11:16 PM
yangmusa

Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 5000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glad to know that the Carradice quick release will fit, as I have been thinking about carrying things..

Here is a picture of the rack I've put on the bike. First I got a beautiful Nitto M-12 rack, but sadly it didn't fit. Looked good though! Then at a fraction of the cost a Nashbar front rack. It seems decent quality, though painted aluminum doesn't look as nice as polished stainless. I must say I'm impressed with this rack - it looks well made, and all the mounting hardware is stainless steel - oh and locking nuts included. On sale, reduced from $15 to $10.. It attaches to the brake bosses and the hole in the fork crown.

I'm a little concerned about the rack mounting to the brake bosses, but I've never heard of this setup failing.. Fingers crossed! I'll be monitoring closely. Ideally, I would like mounting bosses on the frame, so that I could mount a front rack on the frame like a Moulton or a Brompton.

Since the center of gravity is so low with 20" wheels, the handling is fine. I've had almost 20lbs of shopping on, which was probably pushing it.. Looks like I can even make my Ortliebs fit too.

The reason I chose a front rack was mainly that it interferes very little with the fold. Some people have used seat post racks, but I find this a poor solution for everyday use. I don't want to have to remove a rack each time I fold, or carry the seatpost and rack each time I lock up.. As always, YMMV and if you have a solution that works for you that's great!

(You can see the Nitto that didn't fit at: http://yangmusa.blogspot.com/)