Thread: Toronto Fixed
View Single Post
Old 08-19-06, 09:41 AM
somnambulant
So I says to Mable I says

Bikes: '05 Urbanite Fixie, '06 Lemond Croix de Fer, '06 Jamis Dragon Pro, '07 IRO Bikeforums Track, '07 Planet-X Uncle John

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know what the hell "hot spots" are, but you're not the first person I've heard that from re: eggbeaters. That said, I really think they're the best pedals I've ever owned, strictly talking about how they feel/function. 4-sided clip-in can't be wrong! I have a set of Candy SL's on my roadbike, and while I like those as well, they're a little more difficult to clip into (although similar to any other pedal system I've ever used) than the eggbeaters. They do feel slightly more "supportive" though. I don't think the soft cleats for both of those options are really a big deal though. They still last quite a long time with regular city use. I haven't tried out the hardened "premium" cleats yet, but I might give those a go the next time I need replacements.

That said, my Eggbeaters are feeling pretty rough right now. I think I'm going to try and pick up a rebuild kit (anyone have a local source on these?) sometime soon I think.

I've popped out of Shimano/Ritchey pedals way too many times to want to use them on my fixie where I need to be firmly attached in order to stop, and seeing eyefloater unclip and crash TWICE doesn't give me much confidence in the Time pedals either (that might be unfounded though as I've heard basically nothing but good things about them). I've only accidently popped out of my eggbeaters twice in a year, and both times were while using very worn out cleats and I tend to pull up hard when skidding/skipping.

Just my $0.02.