Old 08-20-06, 02:26 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by danimal123
I need to mount a seatpost rack on my road bike. I has eyelets, but the seatstays are configured in such a way that I cannot imagine how a rack would clamp on. It's basically a single stay right to the brake, and then it splits into two stays. Makes me wonder what the heck the eyelets are for, since there's zero clearance for fenders.

Assuming that a normal rack won't fit, I'm looking at a seatpost rack. Some (like the Ascent) are $10, and others (like the Topeak QR) are $35-40. Other than the quick release on the Topeak, what justifies the extra $? I like Topeak's stuff, but I hesitate to spend the extra money unless there's a really compelling reason why it's better than a $10 rack.

Anyone have a seatpost rack they like? My seatpost is Carbon, if that makes a difference.
On ever one of the seat post mounted company websites, it says to not mount them to a carbon seatpost. Look at the Topeak documentation on their site for the rack. Says it right there. I've got a Blackburn rack on my carbon road bike. It worked fine. Had to rig it a little, but it is much safer than a seatpost type as the weight isn't on the seatpost. The seatpost tie is just for stability, the weight is on the vertical arms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Pilot.JPG (57.3 KB, 109 views)