Thread: Oregon
View Single Post
Old 08-20-06, 09:26 PM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bicycling the Pacific Coast

I rode from Seattle, Washington to Santa Cruz, California many years back. Great trip! I loved the Oregon section so much I went back and rode it again two years ago. I'll probably ride it again one day. There are plenty of services all along the route, including many campgrounds with hiker/biker sites.

Get "Bicycling the Pacific Coast" by Kirkendall and Spring. It's the bible for this route.

Go north to south. Better shoulders and better chance of tailwinds.

I went in July both times. Both times I got rained on once only - not bad. I also had a few mornings where the mist was so heavy I had to put on my raincoat.

One plus - there are tons of bike tourers on that route. Both times I met some wonderful people from all over the world. Also, the locals seemed very friendly. They're used to bike tourers, and I think a lot of them realize they're a bit of a boost for the economy. I know I spent enough on food to contribute significantly to Oregon's GNP.

Enjoy!