View Single Post
Old 08-21-06, 02:27 PM
fastturtle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How to train for more than 300 km ?

Lazily seated in front of my computer, I browse through Machka's or other web sites and start dreaming about long distances.
I am 42. I have never considered myself a sportsman, but I ride 7000 to 10000 km a year, mostly at a quiet pace (always sweaty, never out of breath, no HRM to quantify); some of it as a short commute, some of it touring, most of it being Sunday rides. I can ride 200 km at 22-25 km/h average if it is flat. Yesterday I rode 218 definitely hilly kilometers in some 10 hours including a few good breaks to eat my sandwiches. 200 km is no real big issue, but on the following days I can always "feel my legs". I did one 300 km brevet in 13 hours two years ago and survived, this was after a long 3-4 months spent at very gradually increasing distances.

If I want to go beyond and target 400, or 600 km, how do you think I should train ? I feel there is a gap between a ride up to 300 km, that I can complete in one Saturday, and have Sunday to recover before getting back to work, and longer distances. Also, I don't really dare start for a crazy thing like 24h non-stop riding all on my own, without some kind of support infrastructure. And I know nobody around that is dumb enough to want to try this with me. Well, any advice ?

Turtle