Old 08-22-06, 09:11 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by agarose2000
To start off, would love to hear about:
1) Speed - how much faster and on what terrain?
2) Price
3) Comfort & carrying capacity
4) Flexibility - is it worth the whole new road bike if you just use it for commuting, or is a mtn/hybrid the best bang for your buck?

If you can, say a little about your rig and your route so we can all get an idea of where you're coming from.
Speed - I've noticed that I'm quicker on a road/CX bike than on my MTB. Even with the semi-slicks on the MTB, it's heavier and just not designed to go as fast.

Price - Can't say. I haven't bought a new bike for 16 years.

Comfort - I like my MTB for the upright positioning, except when I encounter headwinds. I've got bolt-on bar ends that give me some extra hand positions.

Carrying Capacity - With the proper eyelets, Road/CX/MTB bikes will have the same carrying capacity. I use a backpack or a mess bag, but just about any ride can be outfitted for racks/panniers if you want them.

Flexibility - I like my MTB because I can beat the snot out of it. It's been a steady daily commuter for a decade, in college I used to ride it down long flights of stairs on a daily basis, and I used to ride it for the 'intended' off-road use quite a bit. A road bike won't take the amount of abuse I've put my MTB through, but it will hold up to quite a bit of heavy hammering on good roads. I'm not too familiar with hybrid bikes, but for a short commute (<10mi) I'd assume it would be fine.

My daily commute - 7.5 miles one way. 6.5 miles on dead flat paved MUP, 1/4 mile flat through low-volume traffic on somewhat beat up street with decent bike lane, 3/4 mile uphill with large shoulder lane full of pine cones and rocks.

Additional riding - Grocery run, video store, bike shop, post office, bank, other errands around town. Decent streets, some bike lanes, some heavy traffic double/triple lane. Lots of stop 'n' go at lights and stop signs. Some parking lot and curb hopping shortcuts. Heavy abuse to the wheels and drivetrain. Rarely use derailleurs, and tend to keep things dialed in at a 46/18 combo.

My ride - 1991 Specialized Stumpjumper. CroMo hardtail, no FS. Shimano Deore DX group. Salsa high rise stem. Mavic XC717 32h 3x rear, Specialized stock 26 x 1.5 32h 3x front. Shimano 545 SPD clipless. Blackburn rack. Zefal plastic half fenders. Profile bolt-on bar ends. Twin Cateye Hyper halogen lights, generic 3 LED rear blinkie. Lots of stickers. And a rainbow haired troll-doll.