2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_H
*rubs eyes*
I've read this thread....still unsure about exactly what it is I should get. Got a couple of scenarios

For the most part I do not ride in the dark, but as winter approaches, I'll need something for some visiblity (In my area it starts getting light around 7-730 in the morning and dark around 5 in the evening (December)).
There are two possible roads for me to travel on, one is extremly well lit (But super busy) and the other is 'so so' for the most part (a few areas of no lights, but also very little traffic).

I currently have a small flasher for the front (hey, look at me!) and a red blinker in the back. I've been thinking about getting more lights, but I have a few requirements.
-Can't be too expensive, my paycheck will not allow me to afford those $100+ lights
-Must be able to remove easily (transfer between bikes).

I've been thinking of purchasing a Cateye HL-EL500 ($40) for the front or 2 Cateye EL 300s ($20 each) for the front.
For the back, I think my blinker will do fine, but I plan on getting some of those Cateye LD100 safetylights to attach for better visiblitily.
Course...reflective tape as well

From people with experience with these types/conditions: Would that be a cheap solution? I know I'm not going trail riding at midnight with this setup. I just want to be seen a bit more, and see a lil better

Thanks
Don't use the Cateye LD 100 lights, they hang by a bungee cord. LED taillights are all very directional, they need to be aimed and fixed solid to horizontal and aimed straight back. Any lights that are not, or that move as you ride, lose 90% of the power and the usefulness. Buy the Cateye TL-LD 1000 not 100 (extra zero at the end !) It's around $25 ish. It also has side pointing LEDs and can be seen from almost in front of the bike. There are lots of similar lights, but this one is better. Don't be cheap about being seen from behind.

For the front, it depends on how long you need the light to work for. The Handlebar LED lights don't let you see the ground very well. If you only need a couple of hours run time you can get a Halogen rechargeable light on sale from Performance or Nashbar for around $75 to $100 depending on the time of year. You will get much more light and can see the ground better. Most have quick release brackets for the light head, you might have to get other brackets for other bikes or maybe not, it depends on the exact light you find.