View Single Post
Old 08-09-03, 03:00 PM
Inoplanetyanin

Bikes: 96-97 Gazelle Medeo.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi George. Thank you for attention and nice words.
I am still in the library...
The mountains... I went straight up just little west of Pasadena, by Angeles Forest highway. It was much more difficult than I ever expected and learned few things. The gearing I have (53/42 front and 12/28 rear ) is far from suitable for any kind of climbing. So, remembering the thread where we discussed the need of triple chain ring on the front, I would be ALL FOR the triple, if bike is heavy and any kinds of hills ahead.
The 60 miles across the mountains, to Palmdale took me 2 days, where 80% of time was walking/pushing the bike.
Mountains are gorgeous, though.
The heat started in Mojave, right north of Mojave City... if not Joshua tree, I could probably pass out... The shade it provided helped a lot, where I just laid almost unconsciously resting. Good views around though...

You are right about it being tough, I was recently wondering if adventure should be like this when I pedal till the end, spending sometimes 10+ hours in the saddle and not always having the right food... Maybe I should ease up a little, but anyone can do it...

Angeles Forest Highway, going north across San Gabriel Mountains, North of Los Angeles.

Shade under the Joshua Tree, in Mojave desert on Highway 14 North. Several Mountain Ranges and valleys from Death Valley.