Old 08-23-06, 08:47 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, guys.

About the wedding, we're keeping it relatively cheap so as not to have any debt when we come back. I only make $11,000 a year (grad student) and I could have saved $3,000 - $4,000 last year, but I had a car accident (at which point I was already car light and wanted to be car free, but my family pressured me into buying a car) that wiped out most of that. I can save that same amount of money this year and that will be enough for my half of the wedding. The car insurance money isn't figured into the wedding budget, so it's extra, along with the money I can get from the car.

This money that I'm investing is the modest start to saving for a down payment for a house. We won't be ready to buy a house until about 3 years from the time I invest it, which means that I think stocks are out of the question because stocks are more of a long term thing. A treasury bond would be nice since it's almost a sure thing and you can get your money back at any time, but I haven't ruled out something like an index fund or an ETF yet.