View Single Post
Old 08-26-06, 09:39 AM
Bearminder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first run in with a bad driver

So much for good intentions….I thought after reading here I would take the “high road” with rude/crazy/bad driver. You know, just a smile and wave to any less the bike polite folks. That was until yesterday and my first real time, real life run-in.

My 6 year old just starting riding 2 wheels. We went to the park so he could practice some more on the nice wide deserted paths. Coming home we wait at the crosswalk, get the walk signal, check for cars, and walk our bikes across. Our of a nearby business come a little red Honda, through the red light, and straight at us pedal to the metal- (did I mention yacking on her cell phone.) Fortunately, I saw her blow the red and yelled to my son who drops his bike and run/jumps to the curb. Smarter than me that kid. Daddy doesn’t have sense enough to drop his three week of Specialized- nooooo I run to the curb with my bike.

I make it in time to turn, see her miss the kid’s bike by inches, and proceed to scream the foulest barrage of profanity to exit my lips since my time in the military. I quickly regain my calm and see a police cruiser enter the intersection light flashing. The office stops-tells me to get the bike, and stay where we are. Then he takes off after the Honda. Five minutes later another office shows up, takes our info, asks if we and the bikes are OK.

We’re fine, the driver is busted for several violations, and we are given a number to call to be witnesses. Yea for the Phoenix finest –yea to my kid for being sensible enough to run- and a big boo to me (poor judgment – poor execution – poor reaction.)