Old 08-27-06, 03:46 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Gina's ride report, umm,not like we wanted!

Gina's first attempt to cross GMR to the village. Uhhh, not like we wanted! Prolly my fault cause we did a 32 mile ride the day before at my suggestion. We started the ride with the Orange County Rebels. It was s'posed to be a ride inviting first time GMR riders. They never show up though!

We quickly found ourselves at the tail end of the pack. I kept telling Gina to slow down as I know she was going to need everything she had later in the ride. At about mile 2, we caught one of the guys from our group that had been ahead of us. Sure eough as we passed, he picked up his pace. We'd pass him again then he'd do the same thing again. I told Gina not to pay attention to him and hold her pace. She did and finally at about mile 6, the guy fell way back. Gina had completed the first 8 miles of GMR before, but that was it. So I was pretty happy as we reached the 8 mile mark. I told her we cold turn back if she liked as we are not climbers. Nope, she wantd to continue. The guy behind us turned back at the 8 miler.

We continued and I saw he begin to struggle at about mile 12, so I suggested we turn back. Nope! Then again at mile 14, Nope! Then miles 16.5 when the hills kicks back up, her legs were pretty much toast. I said,"let's head back". Again she said no, but this time I said, "no, we need to save some for the way back cause there are a couple of hills on the return". So we headed back down the mtn.

On the way home, she bagan to cry. She said she felt bad cause she didn't complete the ride and was the tail end. I said, "are you kidding, the Rebel riders are all experienced double century riders and all are in great shape". The only guy that was a newbie on the mtn was the guy that turned back at 8. The Rebel riders are great riders and the "cream of the crop". One guy even did "Ride Around the Bear" in 6.5 hours on a bad day! Aint no way we're keeping up with them!

She had just a little bit more climbing to do then the mtn would have been hers! I know a few friends and forum members that have also turned back at that point! I told her next time we try it, we'll use fresh legs cause I know she can do it! I think nearly 4,000 ft in 16.5 miles on her first mtn ride is great!