Old 08-28-06, 11:43 AM
Marisa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mwrobe1
IMHO...no and yes.

Where is the protein coming form in your diet? Its not fat that keeps people fat...its high concentrations of breads, pasta, sugars, and other high-carb-empty calorie foods that get people fat. I also don't subscribe to the whole "I have to carb-up!" before exercising either...I believe (through personal experience) that "proteining-up" is a much better choice.

Cut out the whole grain bread, oatmeal, milk, pasta and fake egg stuff. Add some more lean meats to your diet...(fish, chicken, leaner cuts of beef, but the fatty cuts once in a while are probably fine for your level of exercise)...eat REAL eggs...they are the perfect food, those fake eggs are crap IMHO. Oh and avoid anything with sugar or high-fructose corn syrup (poison) like the plague.

My $0.02 for what ts worth.
Wow. This is horrible advice. Eating more meat will just increase the risk of heart disease and cancer, which I'm sure he doesn't need at age 50+.

Fat is absorbed by the body much more quickly than protein or carbs, thus it's more likely to be stored on the body than those other macronutrients. An excess of fat will turn to body fat much more quickly than an excess of protein or carbs. Eating too much sugar is bad, but carbs in general don't deserved to be villified. Eating whole grain bread and oatmeal in moderation is a great way to get the carbs you need for sustained exercise, plus they have fiber which helps your intestinal tract. If you feel the need to get more protein in your diet, eat it in low-calorie ways, like broccoli and spinach...the calories you get from those foods are quite high in protein (though very low in calories overall) and they have lots of vitamins.

The body does need some fat, so make sure you are getting the important ones: Omega 3 (especially) and Omega 6 fatty acids. Fish oils are particularly high in this area, but you can get them from things like flax seed oil (a great way to do this is use it on salads) and walnuts and several other seeds. You may find you do better with more fat in your diet, but try to get it from plant sources to avoid raising your cholesterol too. That said, I'm not sure why you'd want to eat fake eggs...I think it'd be better to eat the real thing in moderation.